Friday, December 30, 2011

The best of 2011


Welcome to the second annual highlights from the past year at Arts Without Borders. Once again I submit a few of my favorite art experiences of 2011, in chronological order. And may the New Year be filled with art and creativity!

Writing and performing a play over a 24-hour period with ideas pulled out of a hat – literally.

In honor of its 100th anniversary, the Charles Allis Art Museum broke with tradition and invited a slate of artists to do installations in the historic building.

Which was the theme of the Society of Photographic Educators annual conference in Atlanta, GA. A review.

Milwaukee’s Coalition of Photographic Arts annual membership show stimulates reflections on the nature of contemporary photography and the challenges of keeping the organization fresh.

My review of this year’s annual gallery fair in Chicago.

My review of this powerful exhibit of war photography.

My reflections on Present Music’s magnificent performance – and collaborative event – at the Marcus Center and the Milwaukee River.

This post was a slightly amended reprise of my debut as a blogger for Art City. It is a review of what was an excellent and surprising exhibit.

My response to a query from Art City on developments in the art scene from 2001 – 2011.

The best film of the festival rockets to the top of my own personal charts. Read my review and then add this one to your Netflix queue.

Patricia Johanson creates large-scale artworks that help heal the earth.

December – Storm King Art Center.
A visit to my favorite sculpture park, in upstate New York, with a link to my meditation on Dia Beacon as a bonus post.

It was a good year for the arts in Milwaukee. It also was a good year for me personally, I’m happy to say. Two highlights:

Seeing the real Peru: beyond Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley, my solo exhibit at Mount Mary College in January.

Gallery 2622, another, very different, solo exhibit at this eponymous gallery in Wauwatosa in August.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Eddee! Your posts have led me to some great finds, or filled in holes for shows I couldn't see before they closed.

    ReplyDelete