Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Winter's Bone: worth a second viewing!

I saw Winter's Bone again last weekend (because Lynn hadn't seen it the first time). I was eager to see it again and I wasn't disappointed. This is cinematic craftsmanship at a very high level and worth studying. The quality of the acting and the overall look and mood of the movie are immediately obvious.

On second viewing I found myself seeing subtle references - or if not deliberate references at least similarities - to other films. Momentary glimpses of certain scenes reminded me of Deliverance, The Grapes of Wrath, and of Fargo, but as each instance passed seamlessly into the next scene I also found myself thinking, this is exactly right for this movie, not a play on that other movie. Like a literary reference in a poem, the visual reference enriches the movie without distracting from it.

Read my original post: click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment